Sunday, September 19, 2010

Helter Skelter


So I’m in Sheffield, and so far I’m enjoying it. It’s hard to tell that I’m in Europe. Aspects of it are very European, distinctly English, but then other parts seem very American. All the same, it’s lovely. The weather is typical – unsurprisingly cold and wet. But, pleasantly so. I walked all over today, in a warm coat, and didn’t break a sweat! The people here are so friendly that I wonder that they’re not on drugs. I met a girl starting her freshman year at Sheffield when I was waiting for the train in Manchester. We were both running late and had missed the earlier train. While we were on the train we were talking about catching a cab to get to campus quickly and another girl on her way to campus overheard us. She helped us get our luggage out of the train station and directed us toward the cabs, and offered to let us stay with her (as she was from Sheffield) if we were unable to get into our dorm. Everyone greets you, and everyone smiles. Not in a creepy manner, just civil.


Sheffield is NOT small, as I believed it was. The city is really quite large and the campus sprawls out for quite a distance. Unlike Tallahassee, where the college campuses are distinct from the city, the university and the city of Sheffield weave in and out of each other seamlessly. I can’t really say where the city ends and the university begins. I suppose this is just how universities are set up in large cities.


The traffic here is unbelievable. And getting adjusted to the fact that they drive on a different side of the road is not easily done. I’m terrified of crossing the street because I’m not sure which direction to look when crossing. I almost got ran over last night because I judged the streets incorrectly. For now I’m sticking to the crosswalks. But this means walking around my elbow to get to one in order to cross. But at least the crosswalks are quick. Unlike in America , where pressing the button just means you’ll get an indication of when to cross, pressing the button here seems to actually trigger the traffic signals, which means pedestrians don’t have to wait very long.


Since this is a city (a European city) everything is very close. All of the pubs and the “grocery store” (the Tescoe) are right down the street from where I stay (about 5 minutes walk). Unfortunately, their vegetarian selection is small, so I have to walk to Beanie’s which is about 15 minutes walk (uphill, no less!). But it’s a pretty walk, Weston park is on the way, and I pass several eateries. There’s an abundance of things to look at.


I spent most of today ambling about, and so I know where the student union is now and the philosophy department. I have to confess that the union and department of philosophy are not nearly as beautiful as at FSU, but that’s an unfair comparison because things here are just…different. And I like it.


I haven’t made “friends” yet, but I’m not worried. Students are pouring in, and Fresher’s Week doesn’t start until tomorrow. My only concern is that everyone I’ve seen so far appears to be very young, and I’m not desirous of younger company. Hopefully, I’ll meet some fellow graduate students soon, I still need a date for the Harry Potter premier and I’ve only a month and a half to find one! I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress!

From Sheffield,

Briana

1 comment:

  1. I'll be your date. I'll ship myself to you, so we can watch harry potter the actual opening night.

    ReplyDelete