Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rebuilding America – The Real Way to Restore Honor

I hate when people grumble about the current state of affairs, and then do nothing to alter it. So when I last posted, that wasn’t the end. Though I must confess that I’m not sure I have much to offer in the way of solutions, I will try to outline, at least a little, the direction I think the American people need to take.

First. Dare to challenge the status quo. Intelligently.

The tea party may be challenging the “system,” but what they are angry about I’m not sure they even know. Don’t get me wrong, my anger is not just directed at conservatives. It’s directed at anyone, really, who decides to adhere dogmatically to an illogical position.

I’m more inclined to listen to people when they are calm, clearly state their position, and argue in a rational manner. But hey, that’s just me.

Second. Don’t jump on the bandwagon.

Just because everyone else is screaming at the top of their lungs about those damn liberals and reforming America and restoring honor doesn’t mean you should, too. First, ask yourself what these people are even talking about. Much of it gets lost in all the mudslinging. Next, ask yourself is this your fight. You may find that once you know what these people are saying, you don’t agree with much.

Third. Against the advice of the inimitable Sarah Palin, don’t reload, re-evaluate.

Palin’s response to Dr. S’s retiring from her radio show in order to reclaim her first amendment rights was “Don’t retreat, reload.” Now, I’m sure that Sarah wasn’t intimating that Dr. Laura should get back on the air and say “nigger” 13 more times for good measure, but she clearly wasn’t suggesting that she evaluate her statements in the broader context. As with anything, if you advocate for a position, and meet with opposition, it never hurts to think, “hey, maybe I am wrong.” Opening yourself up to self-evaluation may illuminate points in your favor that you hadn’t previously considered, strengthening your position. It may also help you realize that you really are wrong, thus changing your position. Stop worrying about bruising your ego. This is bigger than you.

Fourth. Don’t allow yourself to be manipulated.

Let’s accept politics for what it is. Fear-mongering, manipulation and deceit. Don’t buy into it. This Republican former-legislator in Arizona is trying to get homeless people on the ballot as members of the Green party in order to split the Democratic vote, leading to a Republican victory. What he is doing is vile. He can’t win honest so he wins underhanded. But the fact that Democrats, or anyone really, would just vote for a candidate because of party affiliation is even worse. (So shame on Democrats, too! See, I’m not biased!)

Learn as much you can, know as much as you can, and go to the polls educated. The more powerful you are, the less powerful they are. And that works.

4.1: Don’t believe the hype.
People get caught up in the whirlwind of movements, furthering the momentum of what may really just be a bad idea from the start. I like to call it the “razzle dazzle” effect, from the glitzy musical Chicago. Throw enough glitter in their eyes and stuff enough wax in their ears and they won’t even know what’s happening. Excitement is a form of manipulation, too. Don’t get caught in it.

4.2: Don’t buy into the fear.
When excitement fails, fear works every time. I think this is why I’m the most disappointed in the American people right now. Everyone’s so afraid of losing the “American way of life” that they don’t stop to wonder if what we’re losing was really worth holding onto anyways. And now instead of moving forward, as we should be, we’reregressing back to a 1960’s sort of political furor that’s demoralizing.

Fifth. Know you position, but know their position, too.

The thing that annoys me most about this Koran burning nonsense in Gainesville is not that books are being burned (though that does really irk me). Rather, it’s the fact that Pastor Jones execrates the Koran as a dangerous book, and something of the devil, but confesses he’s never read the book. Say what? It helps, when you’re arguing against something, to first know what that something you’re arguing against is.

I’m more persuaded by an argument that presents both sides of an issue, fairly, and then tries to convince me that one is better than the other. You can’t really do that, though, if you’re just opposed to one position for the sake of standing against it.

Sixth. Defend your position.

A particular person that I argue with - ahem, let's say debate with - (let's call him He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named), his favorite line of attack whenever I argue with him is “I have the right to my own opinion!” And he maintains that he has this right even if his opinion his unfounded. What he is really saying though is: “I have the right to my opinion, but you don’t have a right to yours!” Huh? I may not agree with what you’re saying, but please don’t be so lazy as to end on the “everyone can have their own opinions” note. You don’t’ really mean what you’re saying when you say that, (or you must not understand what it entails). And if what you believe in is worth believing, then it should be worth defending, too. So, please, do so.

Seventh. Respect your opponent. You don’t have to agree with their position, but respect it.

He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named also likes to say (whenever we’re having a debate) that I’m a loony liberal and my mind has been destroyed by philosophy. Sigh. What did we say about ad hominem attacks? If you can’t defend your position in any other way than attacking me, you should re-consider if it’s worth defending. Treat me with respect and dignity, even if you disagree with my position, and I promise, I’ll pay you the same regards.

Eighth. Don’t just wait to talk. Listen.

There’s a difference. If you’re just waiting your turn to speak, then you can’t really understand what the other person is saying (nor can you adequately respond to the points they’ve made). Listen to your opponent and you might even arm yourself against them.

Ninth. Don’t be afraid of discourse.

Discourse is a dying art form in America. It’s instead been reduced to yelling and bickering. Let’s bring it back. If you can do the aforementioned things, you’re successfully on the way to engaging in meaningful dialogue. People shy away from debate, afraid that it will lead to endless arguing. I really think that the only way we can ever make progress is by sitting down and talking with each other about issues. Let’s start.

No comments:

Post a Comment